1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add in the onion and beef and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 mins until meat is browned. Stir in the eggplant, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme and sauté for an additional 15 minutes.
2. Cut lengthwise slices from courgette using a vegetable peeler (spiralizer if you have one), stopping when the seeds are reached. Turn courgette over and continue ‘peeling’ until all the courgette is in long strips; discard seeds. Slice the courgette into thinner strips resembling spaghetti.
3. Once eggplant is tender, stir in the tomato paste. Add wine. Stir in the tomatoes and slightly crush with a spoon. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir courgette in the hot oil for 1 minute. Add water and cook until courgette is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the meaty sauce over your paleo “courgette” and enjoy.